9/24/14 – The Global View, a special edition of American Libraries is now available to read online.
Sarah P’s comments: It is great to see libraries and librarians embracing this broadening of viewpoint and service. Not that librarians haven’t always had an outward focus, just that now it seems to finally becoming visible and appreciated. Of particular interest for those who want to travel is the article International Travel Learning Opportunities (p.9). The name is a bit of a misnomer, it’s really an article about one ALA exchange opportunity, however it is still an interesting read.
The World Is Yours with American Libraries
Explore ALA’s worldwide impact in A Global View, the 2014 international digital edition of American Libraries. This special issue presents initiatives, advocacy, issues, and services that affect libraries and ALA members all over the world.
Inside this issue, you’ll find:
- A report from the IFLA World Library and Information Congress in Lyon, France
- An update on RDA, the unified cataloging standard designed for the digital world
- A look at the first Sharjah International Book Fair/ALA Library Conference in the United Arab Emirates
- A survey of ALA’s web-based training sessions
- A feature on the global reach of ALA presidents
- A guide to ALA publications and resources available for translation or reprint