8/27/14 – Information and Media Specialist
KUSTAR (Khalifa University of Science, Technology, and Research), Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UAE)
About Khalifa University: With campuses in Abu Dhabi and Sharjah, Khalifa University is dedicated to the advancement of learning through teaching and research and to the discovery and application of knowledge. It endeavours to be an internationally recognised research university, with a world class reputation for interdisciplinary teaching and research and a tradition of partnering with leading academic institutions from around the world.
About the Role:
The purpose of this position is to:
- Provide high quality front-line customer service in the library
- Assist students, faculty and staff with library resources and services
- Facilitate effective and efficient library processes
- Provide first level of service to users in library, on phone, on department email;
- Assist library clientele with their queries and requests; make referrals to librarians as appropriate;
- Conduct library orientations and tours, teach information literacy basics to students;
- Manage all circulation functions including loans, overdues, recalls, holds, reserves, record loads, and record blocks;
- Manage library collections including shelving, shifting, shelf-reading, inventory, deselection
- Ensure that appropriate public service standards and behaviors are maintained. Advise patrons of library policies
- Assure that PCs, copying/printing machines and other equipment are operating properly; coordinate with appropriate departments for repair, maintenance and supplies
- Instruct students in use of equipment as needed, including copiers, projection systems, and PCs.
- Maintain records and statistics of services, activities and traffic counts.
- Produce promotional material and assist in setting up library displays, hosting events, maintain Facebook page
- Process new library material including basic cataloging of Arabic material;
- Assist in collection development functions including bibliographic checking for selection and verification of citations;
- Assist with new enterprises as appropriate, e.g. GIS services, thesis processing for repository, etc.
- Be proactive in seeing what needs to be done and acting on it;
- Other tasks as assigned.
About The Person:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in relevant field
- Library certification preferred
- Some library training and/or experience
- Must be proficient in MS Office applications;
Sarah P’s comments: There are currently 3 librarian positions open with this University (see earlier posts as well). There is an abundance of universities in the UAE, some good, some not so good. KUSTAR does have good reviews to date and I am including a link to an article which mentions them in their discussion of the pros and cons of working in the Middle East. The article is from 2012 but the information is still accurate and the author shares some insights which you should be aware of if you are considering working in the region.
The Middle East Option by William Roden, Inside Higher Ed, 2/8/12