8/21/14 – Mortenson Center Associates Program 2015
Sarah P. comments: If you know a non-US citizen librarian, this is a great opportunity to pass on to them. I was excited when I first read about the Mortenson Center however discovered shortly after that US librarians can not participate (except perhaps by invitation?). I find that sad in this age of international cooperation and hope in the future they might find a way to invite ‘normal’ US librarians to participate rather than just ‘experts’. I say this because my experience has been that the real collaboration is with colleagues who are doing similar work.
2015 Summer Associates Program: May 28 – June 23, 2015
The Mortenson Center Associates Program continues in summer 2015 with a new theme, “Innovative, Engaged, and Responsive Libraries: A Professional Development Program for Library Leaders.” The program will offer library and information science professionals from outside the United States an opportunity to explore current issues and trends in the field and to engage with librarians on the cutting-edge.
Innovative, Engaged, and Responsive Libraries will engage participants in learning about novel and innovative practices and services in areas such as:
- Leadership, Innovation, and Communication
- Digital and Print Collections
- Information Technology
- Marketing and Advocacy
- Professional Networking
- Library and Community Assessment
- Seminars and workshops which provide an overview of current trends in the field. Library experts will be invited to share their perspectives, offer expertise, and foster conversations on the themes of communication and leadership.
- Tours to a variety of libraries, including academic, public, and school libraries. We may also visit the American Library association headquarters in Chicago, Illinois, and other sites of interest.
- Small group projects will allow Mortenson Associates to engage in program content and explore topics with greater depth.
- Networking with dynamic group of international colleagues.
- Each participant will receive a Certificate of Program Participation upon completion.
- Scheduling to allow participants to attend the American Library Association (ALA) Annual Conference, if they wish. (Arrangements and registration for the conference must be made separately and are not included in program costs.) This year’s ALA Annual Conference will be June 25 – 30, 2015 in San Francisco, California.
Applications for the 2015 Associates Program are due on December 1, 2014.
The application form must be completed in English, and should be typewritten, if possible. If handwritten, it should be printed legibly. If additional pages are used, please write the question number and your name at the top of each additional page.
In addition to a completed application form, please submit the following:
- Curriculum Vitae
Please provide an up-to-date curriculum vitae in English which details your professional activities (i.e. professional and work experience, activities (affiliations, memberships, and conference participation), awards, honors, and publications).
- Letter of Recommendation
The Letter of Recommendation must be submitted in English. It should be written by a supervisor who is familiar with you and your work, and can evaluate your ability to participate in the Mortenson Center Associates Program. Family members are not eligible to write a Letter of Recommendation. The Letter must have an original signature.
- Copy of Passport Identification Pages
Please send a copy or scan of your passport identification pages in PDF format.
Additional Application Information
- All materials must be submitted in English.
- The Mortenson Center reserves the right to verify all information given in the application.
- Participants must be prepared to work as team members with other Mortenson Center program participants and to participate as required by the program.
- Associates will not be permitted to join the program late or depart early.
Send complete applications to:
Mortenson Center for International Library Programs
University of Illinois Library at Urbana-Champaign
142 Undergraduate Library, MC-522
1402 W. Gregory Drive
Urbana, Illinois 61801 USA
Telephone: (217) 333-0031
Fax: (217) 265-0990
For an application, cost estimate, or more information about the 2015 program, please visit the Mortenson Center website: http://www.library.illinois.edu/mortenson/associates/
For comments about past programs, please visit: